Wednesday, March 25, 2009

TV

More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle


When I was pregnant, my husband and I swore up and down, left and right, that our child would not be allowed to watch any TV until he was at least 3 years old. We read all the articles, the recommendations from the AAP, the books, etc. and everything said children under two should not watch TV. Did we succeed in our goal? No. Nope. Not even close. Our son was probably around 6 months old when I started to leave PBS Kids on here an there. He'd glance at it now and then but didn't reall "watch" it. Now, at 16 months old, he does get about 1-2 hours of TV time per day but he still doesn't just sit and watch it. He may, here and there, sit and take notice but, for the most part, he goes about his toddler business and only gets distracted periodically. He loves the music, the colors, the funny songs and voices. Do I feel guilty? Sometimes. But I also think that, as parents, we have to be realistic. Sometimes I need to distract my son for a little while so I can make dinner, tidy the house, make a few phone calls. Is it so wrong to let him tune into to some educational TV? I don't leave him in front of the television for hours on end; we play, we learn, we sing, we dance, we go outside and, sometimes, we sit on the couch and watch a little TV and I'm ok with that.

What's your take on toddler tv?

No comments: