Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Woody Woodpecker


  • Those of you that know me are probably tired of hearing about our new feathered friend we've dubbed "Woody." I, however, have not yet tired of discussing him. You see, if you don't already know, Woody has done quite a number on one of our very tall pine trees. When I first looked out the window last week and saw him there, I was excited to see such a (to me) unusually large bird that was quite obviously the inspiration for the good ol' Woody Woodpecker cartoon. A few hours later I discovered exactly what this exciting bird was capable of when I noticed a large pile of wood chips around the base of our tree. We currently have about 6 LARGE holes in our pine tree. When I say "large" I mean several inches in diameter and almost all the way through the thickness of the tree. Amazing, really. So, I decided to do a little research and this is what I found:
  • Pileated Woodpeckers are around the size of a black crow (around a foot; give or take) and is the third largest woodpecker in North America.
  • They primarily feed/roost in dead trees but loss of habitat is forcing some of them to make their homes in still living trees.
  • They are considered monogomous.
  • When declaring their territory, they drum (their bills) at about 14.5 - 16.8 beats per second. (HOLY COW! That's per SECOND!)

Not enough tid-bits for you? Visit my information source at Pileated Woodpecker Central.


No comments: