Friday, May 1, 2009

Book of the Month - May 2009

Ok, first I have a confession: I have not actually read this book. I just happened to come across it today and it really looks interesting so I'm adding it to my list of "to read" books.

For those of you not familiar with the In-N-Out fast food chain, they are touted by many to have the best burgers around, healthier options and, in my humble opinion, the best fast food chocolate shakes ever.

Out last month, from author Stacey Perman, is In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules. From Amazon:

"Author Stacy Perman's Guide to In-N-Out Burger's "Secret Menu"
Except for the addition of 7-Up and Dr. Pepper, In-N-Out Burger's menu has
remained much as it was when the chain opened its first drive-thru in Baldwin
Park, California in 1948. However, at some point in time, a "secret menu"
emerged. Something of an insider's code, it is an off-menu series of variations
on the chain's standard fare (Double-Double, hamburger, cheeseburger, and french
fries) that has been passed on entirely by word-of-mouth through the years.


Although the "secret menu's" origins remain a mystery, part of its existence can
be explained by the fact that In-N-Out Burger has always insisted on
cooking-to-order each individual burger any way a customer wanted it prepared.
Over time, several of these variations gained traction and somewhere along the
way a number of them were given their own names. While frequently steeped in
rumor and apocryphal tales the "secret menu" is almost always used by those
In-N-Out customers in the know."


3 comments:

Debbie said...

I say something about this book recently too. It does look interesting.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I believe I've ordered off the "secret" menu when I was doing low-carb. I'd order a "3 by 3, with ketchup, mustard, and pickle only, protein style". You can also order them animal style, and lord knows what else.

- Margaret

isk8jewel said...

I don't think I've ever ordered off the secret menu. Hmm.... will have to make sure to do that next time I'm back in SoCal.