Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Thanksgiving Edition

Thanksgiving is a time we are supposed to give thanks. I think sometimes we forget that. The Thanksgiving holiday has become so commercialized today. I remember growing up and seeing commercials with families gathered around the Thanksgiving table sharing a meal together. Sure, it was to sell a product but somehow it was different. This year I saw maybe one such commercial. Once. Mostly, they're all about Black Friday sales and how we need to be at the stores at 3 am. (Really? 3am? I don't get it.) On that note, I think it's time to reflect on the year and what I'm most thankful for.

I am thankful for my family. I am blessed to have a wonderful loving husband, healthy son, extended family that loves us dearly, and two parents who watch over us from above.

I am thankful for my friends. We may not see each other as regularly as we used to but I'm so lucky to have friends that are always there when you need them. Looking back on all our fun times over the years often brings a smile to my face.

I'm thankful that despite difficult economic times we have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and reliable transportation. I'm fortunate enough to be home with my son - sure we pinch pennies but it's oh so worth it.

I am thankful that I've begun to enjoy motherhood. I still have my difficult moments but I've found a way to fight PPD and win. I can't begin to describe how thankful I am for this.

I'm thankful that I live in a country that makes me feel safe. That so many men and women serve our country to keep us safe - whether it be in the military, a police force, fire department, or government. Without them, we wouldn't have so many of the blessings we do. I can't forget to be thankful for their families as well - all the spouses, children, parents who support them to no end.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, blessed Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Those are wonderful things to be thankful for and the perfect time of year to express them. And I'm with you on 3 am sales. Ugh! I make a point of never shopping on Black Friday. I can't imagine anything less appealing. Happy Thanksgiving.

TurtlePress said...

I'm so thankful to have a friend like you. Love to you and yours!

Michele said...

You definitely have the right attitude! Our family doesn't have cable and we don't do Black Friday shopping, so I haven't seen the ads. But it is sad that the holidays are so commercialized, and that so many people think the way to happiness is to shop, buy, and give the best/most plentiful gifts. I'm just happy to have a healthy family, a roof over my head, food to eat, to live in this country...it's not about "things."

Happy belated Thanksgiving! :-)