Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Blog is Carbon Neutral

This post is long overdue.  I've been meaning to do this for, oh, a couple of months and I'm a bit ashamed that it's taken me this long.

"According to a study by Alexander Wissner-Gross, PhD, physicist at Harvard University and environmental activist, an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems." (Quoted from the My Blog is Carbon Neutral website.)

The "My Blog is Carbon Neutral" program started in Germany as a way to help ease the carbon footprint.  For every blog that participates, they plant a tree thus helping to neutralize the carbon footprint left by your blog.  Easy, right?

Since today is Earth Day, I've been thinking about that steps I've taken, and those I still need to take, to help make our world a better place to live for future generations.  I consider myself green; I may not be a perfect shade of green but I do all I can to help planet earth and pledge to keep bettering my efforts. 

I honestly don't know how many visitors I get in a day.  I suspect it's not 15,000 but why take that chance?

You can make your blog carbon neutral, too.   Visit the My Blog is Carbon Neutral site today and help erase your footprint.

Oh... and Happy Earth Day!  Be green. :)

Photobucket

No comments: